Weight loss options are abundant, ranging from diet regimens to exercise routines. On the other hand, the physical changes following massive weight loss such as loose abdominal skin and stretch marks have fewer solutions. A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is one solution.
At our practice, we find that many patients are still confused about a tummy tuck and what it is exactly for. Some assume that it’s a weight loss procedure while others dismiss it because they are concerned about scarring.
When can a tummy tuck benefit you
You can benefit from a tummy tuck if you have the following cosmetic issues:
- Overly stretched skin and stretch marks – Massive weight loss and pregnancy can result in unsightly loose, sagging skin that doesn’t improve with diet and exercise.
- Weakened or separated abdominal muscles – The abdominal wall may weaken and expand during pregnancy or massive weight gain. After losing weight or giving birth, the muscles may not resume their normal strength resulting in a pooch or bulge in the lower stomach.
Liposuction may be performed in conjunction with a tummy tuck procedure if you are also concerned with the appearance of tiny pockets of abdominal fat.
When a tummy tuck may not be right for you
Generally, you may not be able to have a tummy tuck if:
- You haven’t been within 10 percent of your ideal body weight for the past six months
- You have uncontrolled or untreated health issues
- You’re thinking of having more children in the future; it may be best to wait until you have decided not to get pregnant anymore
Planning for your tummy tuck at K Plastic Surgery
There are a number of factors to consider when deciding on tummy tuck surgery, including the specific technique that will be used, how to prepare for the procedure, and taking steps to ensure quick recovery on your end. All of these will be discussed during the initial consultation.
Call 518.346.0002 to schedule an appointment with us today. Our offices are conveniently located in Latham and Guilderland. We look forward to your visit!