Breast Lift Recovery: What You Need to Know
If you’re considering a breast lift, you likely have questions about what to expect after surgery. After all, recovery is one of the most important parts of your procedure. The best way to ensure a smooth and successful recovery is partnering with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can provide detailed instructions and monitor your progress. As you schedule your consultation with Dr. Kayastha, here’s what to know about your breast lift recovery and what you can expect.
What Aftercare Instructions Will I Be Given?
Dr. Kayastha and our team will give you detailed aftercare instructions for your procedure during your preoperative consultation. There are
some important steps to follow after surgery to ensure you avoid complications. Some of the mostimportant steps include:
- Take your painkilling and antibiotic medications according to instructions. These will help allow you to rest with minimal discomfort and prevent infections respectively.
- Recharge your drains and monitor their output. Once your drain output has slowed they will be removed painlessly in the office.
- Return for your follow-up appointments to check on the progress of your healing and to have stitches removed. Dr. Kayastha will monitor your progress and provide guidance on returning to normal activities.
- Change out your bandages and dressings according to instructions. Our team will show you how and when to change your dressings.
- Avoid soaking your incisions by not swimming or using tubs. Also, avoid exposing them to sunlight. Getting your incisions wet for extended periods of time can increase the chance of infection and sun exposure can permanently darken your scars.
If you have any questions or concerns about your aftercare instructions, make sure to contact Dr.Kayastha and our team.
How Long Should I Wear My Surgical Bra?
After surgery, you’ll be placed into a supportive surgical bra for the initial postoperative period. This bra will provide support and help keep your dressings in place.
It’s important to wear your surgical bra as much as possible for at least the first four weeks, only
removing it to shower.
When Can I Return to My Normal Schedule?
You can expect your breast lift recovery to take about 4-6 weeks total. You should plan on 1-2 weeks of dedicated rest, avoiding an elevated heart rate or lifting your arms above your head. By six weeks, you should be fully recovered, but you may be able to return to your normal activities (with some restrictions) at around three weeks. You should wait at least six weeks to begin doing intense exercise like running or upper body workouts. It can take about 3-9 months for your final results to become apparent as swelling subsides. Keep in mind that scarring usually will fade with time, and it can take up to a year for scars to achieve their final
appearance. Dr. Kayastha has a comprehensive postoperative regimen to help minimize the appearance of your scars.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Kayastha is an experienced expert who specializes in breast procedures. After reviewing your goals and an examination, Dr. Kayastha will review your options. Please contact us with questions or to schedule a consultation at our Latham, NY by using our contact form or calling us.