Every surgical procedure has risks and possible complications during and after the procedure. The skill and experience of your plastic surgeon significantly reduces your chances of complications.
Below are common risks and complications that can occur with eyelid surgery:
- Complications from anesthesia – These include allergic reactions, fluctuations in blood pressure levels, breathing difficulties, and in extreme cases, cardiac arrest.
- Infection – This risk can be significantly mitigated through sterile conditions during surgery, proper wound care, and adherence to prescribed antibiotics post-surgery.
- Excessive Bleeding – Although bleeding is a normal occurrence post-procedure, it should not be excessive. The most common sites of bleeding following eyelid surgery include the orbicularis muscle and fat pockets.
- Extreme Sensitivity to Light – This is most likely to happen during the first few days or weeks following surgery. However, it should gradually disappear after a few weeks post-surgery.
- Extreme Eye Dryness – This may occur during the first to second week post-procedure and can be remedied with lubricating eye drops.
- Pain – Since the eye area has many nerves, there will be pain associated with recovery, but your prescribed pain medications should mitigate it as well as possible.
- Visible scarring – Although the surgeon plays the most important role in minimizing scarring, you also need to strictly adhere to wound care.
Although very rare, you should also be aware of the following other complications:
- Appearance of suture cysts
- Noticeable asymmetry
- Excessive or insufficient skin removal
- Excessive fat removal
- Excessive muscle removal
- Inappropriate location of the crease
- Ptosis or drooping eyelids
- Double vision
- Loss of vision
- Swelling on the eyeball surface due to accumulation of fluids
- Injury to the lacrimal (tear-producing) glands
Trust our experienced surgeons with your eyelid surgery. Call 518.346.0002 or fill out this contact form today to schedule an appointment with us. We look forward to your visit!