List of Medications to Avoid Before Surgery
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Prior to your surgery, it is important to let our staff know about any and all medications that you are taking, as well as vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other supplements. This is because they may react negatively to prescription medications and/or anesthesia and lead to post-surgical complications.
We ask that our patients do not take any brand of aspirin or any medications that contain aspirin. We also ask you to avoid ibuprofen, MAO inhibiting, and serotonin drugs for 2 weeks prior to and after surgery. Dr. Kayastha and your anesthesiologist will establish which of your medications may be safely taken before your surgery. It is important that you disclose every medication, supplement, oil, suspension, herb, etc. that you are taking, as your health depends on it.
Aspirin and aspirin-containing products, as well as some supplements, may impede blood clotting and cause difficulties during and after surgery. If you are in need of a pain reliever and fever reducer, we recommend Tylenol. Please carefully follow these instructions for a safe surgery and recovery.
Aches-N-Pains, Actifed, Acuprin, Addaprin, Adprin – B Tablets, Adult Analgesic Pain Relievers, Advil, AK Spore – HC, Alka Seltzer, All Arthritis Medicines, Allergy Relief Medicines (A.R.M.), Alpha Omega (fish oil), Aluprin, Aleve, Amigesic Capsules, Amitriptyline, Anacin, Anacin Arthritis/P, Ansaid Tablets (generic brand of Ansaid is Flurbiprofen), Anodynos Tablets, Analval, Anaprox, Anaprox-DS, Anaproxen, Anaproxen Anodynos, Ansaid, APAC Improved, APC, Argesic Tablets, Arthra-G, Arthralgen Tablets, Arthritis Pain Formula, Arthritis Strength Bufferin, Arthropan, Arthropan Liquid, As-caff, Ascodeen, Ascriptin, Ascriptin AID tablets, Ascriptin with Codeine Tablets, ALL ASCRIPTIN PRODUCTS, Aspir-lox, Asperi-mox, Aspirbuf, Aspercin, Aspergum, Aspirin* (of any kind), Aspirin Suppositories, Aspirin with Codeine, ASpirTab, Asprimox Tablets, Asproject, A.S.A. Tablets, A.S.A. Enseals, Axotal, Azdone Tablets
* Please not take ANY aspirin containing medications, whether they are natural, prescription or over the counter
B-A-C Tablets, Bayer Aspirin, Bayer Children’s Aspirin Tablets, Bayer Children’s Cold Tablets, Bayer Timed-Release Aspirin Tablets, Bayer Select Pain Formula, BC Powder/Tablets, Bilberry Tablets, Brufen, Buf Tab, Buff-A-Comp, Buff-A Comp No.3 Tablets with codeine, Buffaprin, Buffasal, Bufferin, Bufferin 37%, Bufferin Arth, Bufferin X/S Butalbit, Buffets II, Buffex, Buffinol, Buropion, Buropion HCL, Bupropion, Butazolidin
C-Advil, Cama Arthritis Pain Reliever, Cama Inlay Tabs, CataFlam Tablets, Carisoprodol Compoud Tablets, Cayenne, Cephalgesic, Cheracol Tablets, Children’s Advil Suspension, Children’s Aspirin, Children’s Motrin Suspension, Chromium, Chromium Picolinate, Claritin, Clinoril, Concerta (for ADD/ADHD), Congespirin, Contac, Cope, Coricidin Tablets, Coricidin “D” Decongestant Tablets, Coricidin, Coricidin Demilets Tablets for Children, Coricidin Mediets Tablets for Children, Coumadin
Damason-P, Darvon, Darvon with ASA, Darvon Compound, Darvon Compound-65, Darvon w/Apspirin, Darvon-N with Apsirin, Dasin, Dipryridamole, Disalcid, Diurex, Doan’s, Dolcn, Dolobid, Dolphirn #3 Tablets, Drinopehn, Dristan, Dristan Sinus, Duoprin-S Syrup, Duradyne Tablets
Vitamin E, E-aspirin, Easprin EC, Echinacea, Ecolrin, Ecotrin Tablets, EFFEXOR® XR, Elavil, Emagrin, Empirin, Empirin with Codeine, Emprazil, Endodan Tablets, Epromate Tablets, Equagesic, Equazine-M, Excedrin, EFFEXOR® XR (venlafaxine HCl) Extended-Release, ExPrazi
Feldene, Fenoprofen Tablets, Feverfew, Fiogesic Tablets, Fioricett, Fiorinal, Fiorinal with Codeine, Florgen PF, Fluoxetin, Flurbiprofen Tablets, 4 Way Cold Tablets
Garlic (allium sativum) tabs & do not eat garlic excessively (some say not at all – but if you accidentally get some or have a little garlic toast, it’s okay, it’s more for garlic tablets), Genaced, Genacote, Gelpirin Tablets, Genprin, Gensan, Ghemnisym, Gingko, Ginbko Biloba, Gennin, Ginger, Gingko, Ginkobiloba, GNP aspirin, Goody’s Headache Powder, Goody-s Extra Strength
Halfprin Tablets, Haltran, Heparin, Hydroxycut
IBU, IBU-Tab, Ibuprofen, Ibuprin, Ibuprohm, Indocin, Indochron E-R Capsules , Indomethacin Caspules, Indomethacin Suspension, Infantol Pill, Isollyl Improved Tablets & Capsules
Lanorinal, Licorice Root, Lodine, Lortab ASA
MAO inhibitors, Magan, Magnaprin, Magnasprin, Magsal, Marnal, Marthritic Tablets, Maximum Bayer Aspirin, Measurin, Meclomen, MecloFenamate Capsules, Medigistic-Plus, Medipren, Meditren, Melatonin, Menadol, Meprogesic Q, Micraninin, Midol/Midol 200, Midol Original, Midol PMS, Mobidin, Moblgesic, Momentum Back Ache Formula, Monogesic, Motrin, Motrin IB, Multi-Vitamin
Nalfon, Nardil, Nardilzine, Naprosyn, Neomycin, Neogesic, Norgesic, Norgesic Forte, Norwich Extra Strength Aspirin, Nov-naproxen, Nuprin, NyQuil/NyQuil P.M.
Orphenagesic, Orphenagesic Forte, Orudis, Oruvail Capsules, Oxycodine, Oxycodone
P-A-C, Pabalate-SF, Pabrin, Pacaps, Pain Reliever Tablets, Pamprin-IB, Panalgesic, Panodynes, Papaya, PediaProfen, Pedrazil, Percodan, Percodan Demi Tabs, Persantin, Persisrin, Persistin, PetoBismol, Phenaphen, Phenetron Compound, Piroxicam Capsules, Polymyxin, Ponstel Capsules, Presalin, Propoxyphene Compound, Propoxyphene Napsylate with Aspirin, Prozac
Quagesic, Quiet World Analgesic (sleeping aid), Quinine
Relafen Tablets, Rexolate, Rhinex, Robaxin, Robasisal, Roxiprin Tablets, Rufin, Robaxisal
S-A-C, Salabuff, Salatin. Saleto, Saleto 200, Saleto-400,600,800 Tablets, Salflex, Salicylamide, Salocol, Salsalate, Salsitab, Serzone, Sign Off Sinus Tablets, Sine Aid, Sine Off, SK-65 Compound Capsules, Soma Compound, Soma Compound with Codeine, St. John’s Wort, St. Josephs Aspirin, St. Joseph Cold Tablets (for children), Stanback Analgesic, Stanback Powder, Sudafed, Sulindac Tablets, Supac, Synalogos Capsules, Synalgos-DC Capsules
Talwin Compound, Tenol-Plus, Tolectin 200,600 Tablets, Tolectin DS Capsules, Tolmetin Tablets/Capsules, Toradol Injection/Tablets, Tr-Pain Tablets, Trilisate Tablets and Liquid, Trendar, Trental, Triaminicin Tablets, Tricosal tablets, Tri-Pain, Trigesic, Trilisate, Tusal
Ultrapin, Unipro, Ursinos Inlay Tablets
Valesin, Valtrex, Vanquish, Verin, Viro-Med Tablets, Vivarin, Voltaren
Warafin (Coumadin), Wellbutrin, Wesprin Buffered
Zactrin, Zoloft ,Zorprin, Zyban
Other Vitamins, Supplements, and Herbal Remedies to Avoid Before Surgery
Many people take vitamins and herbal supplements which can be beneficial to their health. However, some may be unsafe to combine with anesthesia or surgery in general. Before any form of procedure or surgery, it is vital that you disclose the full list of supplements, vitamins, and herbal remedies that you are taking to Dr. Kayastha and your anesthesiologist to ensure your health and safety.
Below is a list of vitamins and supplements you should not take prior to surgery:
- Vitamin E has anti-platelet properties and inhibits essential clot formation. We ask you to stop consuming Vitamin E in any form at least 2 to 3 weeks prior to any surgery and for 2 to 3 weeks afterward.
- Garlic (allium sativum), Ginger, Alfalfa, Cayenne, Papaya, Feverfew, Chamomile, Dong Quai root, Willow bark, Goldenseal, Guarana, Horse Chestnut and Bilberry Tablets/Supplements also have anti-platelet properties and may hinder necessary clot formation. You may continue consumption of these supplements 2 to 3 weeks after surgery.
- Gingko, Gingko biloba, & Selenium are powerful anti-coagulants. They are considered to be 3 times stronger than Vitamin E.
- Ginseng may cause rapid heartbeat/and or high blood pressure in some people, as well as coagulation interference.
- John’s Wort, Yohimbe, (“The natural Viagra®”) and Licorice root have a mild monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitory effect and may strengthen the effects of anesthesia.
- Melatonin reduces the amount of anesthesia necessary for surgery.
- Kava Kava, Hawthorn, Lemon verbena, Mugwort, Lavender, and Valerian/Valerian Root: have tranquilizing properties and should not be combined with other sedative agents. WARNING! Tell your anesthesiologist/surgeon if you take any of these.
- Echinacea may have a serious impact on the liver when general anesthesia is used. It also has some properties that may disrupt coagulation.
- Ma Huang (a.k.a. Ephedra): Used by many people for weight loss and is a major element of most weight loss supplements. Ephedra has been linked with more than 800 adverse health effects including DEATH. It is an amphetamine-like compound with the capacity for stimulating the central nervous system and heart. We strongly discourage the use of this supplement in any form.
- Gotu Kola also has a stimulant effect.
- Ackee fruit as well as, Alfalfa, Aloe, Argimony, Barley, Bitter melon, Burdock root, Carrot oil, Chromium, Coriander, Dandelion root, Devil’s club, Eucalyptus, Fenugreek seeds, Fo-ti, Garlic, Ginseng, Grape seed, Guayusa, Gmena, Juniper, Nem seed oil, Onions, Periwinkle, Yellow root alter the blood glucose level.
- Garlic and Onions as a food: Even moderate consumption of onions and garlic can negatively affect the body when it undergoes surgery. Try to limit your intake of these foods for 2 weeks beforehand.
At K Plastic Surgery, we will recommend a vitamin and supplement regimen to promote optimal healing and recovery following surgery. Do not take larger than recommended doses.