Facial aging is often associated with the appearance of crow’s feet, forehead wrinkles, and sagging brows. But for some men and women facial aging may also come in the form of jowls, resulting from the descent of the cheekbones just below the jawline. Luckily, research on this problem has resulted in new technologies and surgical techniques.
Why Jowls Appear in the First Place
There are a variety of reasons behind the appearance of jowls. A combination of the following factors has been shown to result in the dreaded sagging jawline:
- Genetics – If majority of your family members had the premature appearance of jowls, there’s a good chance you’ll have them, too.
- Being overweight – Extra facial fat may lead to sagging skin along the jawline.
- Prolonged or heavy sun exposure – Ultraviolet radiation reduces the amount of elastin and collagen in your skin. Both elastin and collagen are primarily responsible for making your skin appear plump and naturally youthful.
- Chronic smoking – The blood vessel-constricting effects of nicotine in cigarette smoke significantly impedes blood flow to the skin, resulting in a lack of oxygen and nutrients needed to slow down the aging process.
- Sleeping position – According to the American Academy of Dermatology, sleeping on your back will less likely lead to wrinkles and jowls than sleeping on your face or on your side.
Cosmetic Options for Jowl Reduction
Although the signs of aging such as jowls will eventually occur, there are ways to reduce their appearance.
- Facelift/Jowl Lift – These options are ideal for those wish to go the surgical route and are willing to go through prolonged recovery periods. Although there are various surgical techniques used in a facelift, each technique utilizes three basic components: removal of excess facial fat, removal and re-draping of excess facial skin, and tightening of the underlying muscles. A jowl lift may specifically remove excess skin in the jaw line.
- Dermal Fillers – Fillers may be injected into the area surrounding the jowls (not directly into the jowls themselves) to reduce their appearance. Additional volume may be added to the cheeks to reduce sagging.
- Liposuction – This is ideal if your main concern has to do with excess fat along the jawline.
- Precision TX™ – Precision TX (also featured on The Doctors as the Knifeless Facelift) is a procedure that is an excellent choice for patients who aren’t ready for a traditional face/neck lift. The best candidates have mild to moderate fatty tissue and loose skin in the lower face, jowls, and neck.
Planning for Your Facial Rejuvenation
Dr. Kayastha has the experience, artistry, and extraordinary attention to detail to help you achieve the desired outcomes in facial rejuvenation. Get in touch with us today and we’ll help you come up with a personalized facial rejuvenation plan that can target a significant reduction of jowls. Call 518.346.0002 or fill out this contact form today to schedule an appointment with us. We look forward to your visit!